See How We Got Here
1930s and 1940s
Our history began in 1938 when General Motors formed the GM Diesel Division, the origin of today’s Detroit Diesel Corporation. With World War II
heating up, GM Diesel produced its first model: the Series 71. Tanks, landing craft, road building equipment and standby
generators needed compact, lightweight, two-cycle engines. During this epic time, a tradition of strength, quality and dependability was
born. By 1943, GM Diesel employed 4,300 people, more than 1,400 of them women. Together, these employees produced 57,892 engines in 1943
For its contribution to the war effort, GM Diesel received the Army-Navy “E” award.
After the war ended, GM Diesel recognized the growing opportunity of the on-highway truck market. The company developed heavy-duty
engines to meet these commercial needs and began selling to clients other than GM in 1955. GM Diesel also began to focus on developing
a worldwide distribution network of independent, authorized distributors and dealers to provide parts and service. In 1957, GM Diesel
introduced the Series 53 engine, and put the Series 71 engine into use for both on-highway and off-road use. All engines within a Series
were designed so that a vast majority of the parts were interchangeable. This made it easy to produce many models of various horsepower by simply adding cylinders.
In 1965, GM Diesel became Detroit Engine Division. Then, just five years later in 1970, General Motors consolidated the company with
the closely allied transmission and gas turbine businesses of the Allison Division, forming the Detroit Allison Division. For the next
20 years, the Detroit Allison Division grew, tripling its sales during the 1960s alone.
1970s and 1980s
During the energy crisis, it became clear that the turbine engine couldn’t compete with the diesel engine for fuel efficiency.
In 1980, Detroit Allison produced its first four-cycle engine. A few years later in the early 1980s diesel engine production split off
as Detroit Allison Division while turbine engines remained as Allison Division.
In 1987, the Series 60® — the four-cycle heavy-duty engine that would become
the signature of the company — was introduced as the first production engine to have integrated electronic controls as a standard
feature. The Series 60 was developed to meet the demand for cleaner and more fuel-efficient heavy-duty engines, and quickly became the most
popular heavy-duty diesel engine in the North American Class 8 truck market.
On January 1, 1988, a joint venture between Penske Corporation and General Motors created Detroit Diesel Corporation, the successor to the heavy-duty
diesel engine business of the Detroit Allison Division. The deal gave Penske a 60% majority ownership in the new venture and infused
new leadership through its CEO, former racecar driver Roger Penske. Penske’s unique brand of leadership helped direct the company
in the face of a highly competitive marketplace where the price index had been stagnant for more than four years.
President Bill Clinton & Roger Penske lend their support to Detroit Diesel Corporation at the 1993 IPO.
By October 1993, Detroit Diesel Corporation had grown its on-highway heavy-duty market share to 33% from 3% only a few years earlier.
The company also completed a successful initial public offering of common stock, becoming a publicly traded company
listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the stock symbol “DDC.”
By 2000, Detroit Diesel Corporation was a dynamic and well-respected company within both the trucking industry and the investment community. In October
of 2000, DaimlerChrysler, completed a tender offer for all outstanding shares of Detroit Diesel Corporation, including the 48.6% interest owned by Penske Corporation.
Following the acquisition, DaimlerChrysler consolidated various engine and other powertrain component activities (including Detroit and
Mercedes-Benz industrial engines) into the Commercial Vehicle Division under a new business unit named DaimlerChrysler Powersystems.
The new company brought together more than 34,000 employees and combined revenues of approximately $7 billion.
Detroit Diesel Corporation invested $350 million to refurbish and retool its plant for future business.
Detroit Diesel Corporation launched its DD engine platform with the DD15® Engine.
In 2008, Detroit Diesel Corporation was recognized for its Brownfield Redevelopment efforts, and also won the national EPA Phoenix Award for its plant.
The 1 millionth Series 60 engine was sold.
An additional $190 million investment allowed Detroit Diesel Corporation to launch BlueTec® emissions technology and the final engine of its new engine family: the Detroit DD platform of engines that includes the DD13®, DD15®,
DD15 TC® and DD16® engines.
Detroit Diesel Corporation is named named one of the two 2011 Michigan Green Leaders in the Big Business category by the Detroit Free Press.
100,000th DD platform engine leaves the factory floor, while axles, Virtual Technician, transmissions and Detroit Genuine Parts are introduced.
Detroit Diesel Corporation is an affiliate of Daimler Trucks North America LLC, and is known simply as Detroit to encompass all engines and future products.
Through its corporate headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, Detroit has become a global leader in the diesel engine industry, manufacturing a complete line of heavy-duty
diesel engines, axles and transmissions for the on-highway and vocational markets.
Detroit supports its complete line of products through a nationwide parts and distribution network, including 800-plus authorized service outlets in North America.
Detroit also has six remanufacturing centers strategically located throughout the United States, along with three worldwide parts distribution centers.
Read our Fast Facts for more information about Detroit.